I love Powerline. Unfortunately, setting up just about any linux-centric software on windows is an everloving pain in the ass. Powerline is no different, and there don’t seem to be any start-to-finish this-is-what-worked Windows guides. Here’s mine.
This will be effectively a copy of my previous post, but targeted at OS X. The gist is, get a toolchain, debug connector, and open-source firmware library set up to use the STM32F4DISCOVERY dev board from ST as quickly as possible on OS X. Unfortunately, it’s not QUITE as easy as on Ubuntu. Fortunately, it’s not a lot worse. Continue reading
This tutorial follows the same basic outline as this post on cu.rious.org but some things have changed since that was written such that it no longer works unmodified, and the various similar tutorials leave some bits out. My goal here is to get some custom code on the STM32F4DISCOVERY board as quickly as possible, hopefully paving the way in the near future for a full eclipse-based IDE setup.
I needed to measure brake rotor wear tonight, but there’s a ridge on the edge where the pads don’t hit preventing an accurate measurement with vernier calipers. I don’t have a micrometer, but I do have a pile of weld nuts. Problem solved.
I pulled apart my car’s start/stop button today to redo some chipping paint that was bothering me. Naturally, I couldn’t stop at only the cosmetic plastic once I saw that there was a small PCB inside. There are two interesting things about this picture. First, look at the PCB: there are some electronics (and more than just regulators to drive the LED), an LED to illuminate the button, and nothing else. Continue reading
I’ve been thinking for a while about how I want to go about mounting my iPhone in my car. For a while I had one of those suction cup mounts that gently clamps onto whatever phone or case you have, but it was pretty cruddy and snapped the other day. It got quite in the way as well. Looking around today, I came across Kuda which sells a bunch of custom-fit solutions that look very good though are quite expensive. I thought to myself that something similar wouldn’t be too hard to fabricate myself for a few bucks at home depot.
Being out in LA, I recently bought a car – I ended up with a used BMW. It’s pretty sweet, but I’m me so obviously I’ve moded just about everything I can without actually buying parts. Mostly that means software mods – windows up on key fob lock press, that sort of thing. But I’ve also been trying to mod bluetooth into it, and only recently had success. Tonight I got curious and took the module which controls bluetooth and USB aux-in apart (referred to as a MULF2 High Basis, it lives in the trunk and connects to a USB plug in the center console). Here’s what I found. Continue reading
I’ve amassed a lot of loose surface mount parts and it finally came time to do something about organizing them – digging through piles of little plastic bags in a box gets real old real fast. I considered buying something like Adafruit’s SMD parts kit and just stuffing my extra parts in the corresponding slots, but I don’t currently have a pressing need for all the parts, and I came up with something a little cheaper. Perhaps more interesting, I’ve got a nice recipe for heat sealing plastic (like anti-static bags) with your soldering iron without messing it up. Continue reading
I’ve had this traffic light sitting in the corner of our apartment for a while now – I’ve been meaning to do a traffic light project for a long time and I finally got one as a gift, so naturally it came out to Cali with me when I moved. But until now it’s just sat nicely in the corner, all lights on when plugged in and all lights off when not. Well, I just got my Bluetooth Low Energy shield from Seeed Studio in the other day, so naturally it was time for that to change. Continue reading